when you think about it, it's kinda freaky how our tastebuds change so much from childhood. i would say 90% of the foods i eat today would have been utterly deplorable to my 6 year-old tastebuds. some of the foods on this hit-list would have been: any kind of leafy green, beans, whole wheat and most definitely avocados. which is a shame cause you can't make a guacamole without good avocados.
well i must be grown up now cause i've been making and eating this homemade guacamole morning, noon, and night. GUACAMOLE for DINNER?! yes. and if you haven't done so, your tastebuds obviously haven't lived.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lime
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and chopped
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
(1) Cut each avocado in half and remove the pits. Score each half a couple times horizontally and vertically then scoop the flesh into a medium bowl using a spoon. (2) Cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice over the avocado chunks then toss gently with a spoon, making sure the lime juice evenly coats all the avocado. (3) Add the rest of the ingredients and mix together. Chill for at least an hour before serving with tortilla chips, pita chips, tacos, on a shoe...
Makes 4 servings